«  O Bonitas!  »

The Saint Bruno Chapel
and its mountain forest surroundings,
location of the original Carthusian Hermitage
two miles up in the mountain beyond the present monastery
(pictures taken at Easter)


Saint Bruno Chapel   Saint Bruno Chapel
     
The entrance door to the Chapel   The fountain of the original monastery

The entrance door of the chapel

 

The fountain which gave water to the original monastery

The Carthusian emblem on the key lock of the door   The Grand Som, the steep mountain and the forest above the Chapel

The Carthusian emblem on the key lock of the door

 

The Grand Som, the steep mountain and the forest above the Chapel

Below: A traditional representation of the Saint Bruno Chapel, which marks the location of the original hermitage founded in 1084 and destroyed in 1132 by an avalanche. Carthusians have always favored secluded high mountain valleys for their hermitages.

Saint Bruno Chapel at La grande Chartreuse

 

Back to the top